© All rights reserved
MBBS is also known for the Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery or in Latin Medicinae Baccalaureus, Baccalaureus Chirurgiae. MBBS is considered as one of the most popular subjects all over Nepal. A student is capable for the course after finishing High school with Science Stream (with biology subject) with a good grade. There are many colleges in Nepal where people can study MBBS. B.P. Koirala Institute of Health Sciences, Gandaki Medical College, Institute of Medicine (IOM), KUSMU, Kathmandu Medical College are some of the renowned MBBS college in Nepal.
In Nepal to study MBBS one have to complete High School with science. In High School, he or she has to study for two years. After High School, it is a plus point if he or she goes to different preparation class which may last up to 0.5 years. The student has to complete all semesters to complete MBBS which is a 4 years course and has to do a 1-year internship.
Nepal is in developing phase. Apart from superstitions belief such as DhamiJhakri, people are being more health conscious and educated. Health and medical awareness and campaign are being held in most part of the country. Despite the presence of hospital, demands are increasing day by day. To fulfil the increasing demand many health posts and institutions had been established and in the hospital, there is more demand of doctors, nurses, physician, pharmacist, and so on. In this regard for those who have completed MBBS have more employment opportunity in the context in Nepal. As in Nepal, there is huge demand of qualified MBBS student in the foreign country. If a student graduated in Nepal then it is easy for him to get a job in Nepal. There are many students who have graduated in a foreign country and have got a suitable job there. There are many who have graduated in Nepal and gone abroad for a suitable job. There is more employment opportunity for the student of MBBS in Nepal and in a foreign country.
Comparing to other courses of science MBBS is one of the most expensive course. To study this course without scholarship one have to put huge investment. The total fee for this course in different colleges is mentioned below.
- Chitwan School of Medical Science Cost – Rs 42,00,000
- Gandaki Medical College Cost – Rs 40,00,000
- College of Medical Science Cost – Rs 53,00,000
- IOM Cost – Rs 31,50,000
- Janaki Medical College Cost – Rs 35,00,000
- Kathmandu Medical College Cost – Rs 45,00,000
- KIST Medical College Cost – Rs 43,00,000
- KUSMS Cost – Rs 33,00,000
- Lumbini Medical College Cost – Rs 42,00,000
- National Medical College Cost – Rs 40,00,000
- Nepal Medical College Cost – Rs 42,00,000
Despite the popularity, this course is a challenging one and students can make themselves eligible by hard working. At least first division in Plus 2 (+2) is required to study this course. More than 50% in subject physics, botany, geology, chemistry and English is required and the additional mark of maths is not counted. Students who have cleared High School with subject science(physical math) cannot study MBBS.
After the completion of High School students are given the holiday. In the holiday they prepare for the exam of MBBS till their result comes out. After their result, they fill the form for entrance exam and admission. The form should be filled and submitted before the deadline marked by the college. The date for submission of form in MCOMS and KU is 30 of June 2018 and TU is July 2018.
For the scholarship programme, different college separates seats for capable students. College provides scholarships to the poor and deserving students. 20% of the total seat is separated by the college for the scholarship. To get the scholarship one have to pass the entrance exam. They have to secure the mark demanded as per the college to get the scholarship. Many colleges under KU and TU and Nepal government have facilitated for one to study MBBS in Nepal. Some of the college for MBBS are listed below.
There are 18 medical schools and colleges in Nepal that provides the MBBS degree to the students. Nepal Medical Council (NMC), the board in Nepal for the recognition to these medical institutions so that they can start providing studies in medical science and training.
Kathmandu University (KU) and affiliated colleges
- Kathmandu University, School of Medical Sciences (KUSMS), Dhulikhel, Kavre
- Manipal College of Medical Sciences (MCOMS), Pokhara, Kaski
- College of Medical Sciences (CMS), Bharatpur, Chitwan
- Kathmandu Medical College (KMC), Sinamangal, Kathmandu
- Nepal Medical College (NMC), Jorpati, Kathmandu
- Nepalgunj Medical College (NGMC), Chisapani, Nepalgunj
- Lumbini Medical College (LMC), Tansen, Palpa
- Nobel Medical College, Biratnagar
- Birat Medical college, Biratnagar
- Devdaha Medical college, Rupendehi
Tribhuvan University (TU) and affiliated colleges
- Tribhuvan University, Institute of Medicine (IOM), Maharajgunj, Kathmandu
- Nepalese Army Institute of Health Sciences, College of Medicine, Kathmandu
- Universal College of Medical Sciences (UCMS), Bhairawaha
- National Medical College, Birgunj
- Janaki Medical College, Janakpur
- KIST Medical College, Imadol, Lalitpur
- Chitwan Medical College (CMC), Bharatpur, Chitwan
- Gandaki Medical College (GMCTHRC), Pokhara, Kaski
- Mahendranagar Medical College, Mahendranagar, Kanchanpur
Medical schools not affiliated to universities or having their own board
- B.P. Koirala Institute of Health Sciences (BPKIHS), Ghopa, Dharan
- Patan Academy of Health Sciences (PAHS)-School of Medicine, Patan, Lalitpur
Doctors are considered as one of the highest paying professionals in Nepal. Physicians earn as much as 85,000 rupees on a monthly basis which is good income in the context of Nepal. Even in India the salary of a doctor is average 120000 IC per month. Basically all over the world the average earning of doctor is $189,000 per year.
Before joining the MBBS course one should be mentally prepared for the hard and tough study. One should be also be prepared for his/her responsibility. The person must learn to be calm and must tackle the problem with patients. Building the characters such as Confident, Empathetic, Humane, Personal (interacting and caring patient not just as a patient but friend), Respectful and so on. After the study of MBBS, one can study MS and MD. MS post graduation in General Surgery and MD is post graduation in General Medicines.
Frequently asked questions
Am I capable for MBBS study?
Asked by many students after their secondary level schooling. The value of their question depends upon the hard work they do during their high school. To be a good MBBS student one must be very hard working.
What subject should I take to study MBBS?
To study MBBS students have to complete grade 11 and 12 taking science(biology). If the student takes maths then he/she cannot study MBBS but he/she can go for engineering.
I am poor but can I study MBBS?
Yes, but the student must work very hard. For poor student college have separated scholarship seats. To get the seat students have to secure good mark at high school and entrance examination.
Is there good future in MBBS?
Yes, students who have completed MBBS are the most demanded personality, both socially and professionally. There is a good job opportunity for the people who have completed MBBS.