© EduNepal (2018) All rights reserved
Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA)
Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA) is Technology and Computer Application program, emphasizing on the pivotal areas of Computer Science along with facets of business and interpersonal skills. The program is ideal for the individuals willing to pursue career in the field of IT.
Under this program, students have opportunity to learn the different aspects of computer application. BCA comprises of courses such as data structures & algorithms, probability & statistics, computer fundamentals & application, digital logic, system analysis & design, cloud computing, applied psychology, hotel information system, cyber law & professional ethics, c. programming, scripting language, etc. In the final year, students should submit the project report prepared on the basis of their internship experience.
The program is designed to produce skilled IT professionals. Some other objectives include
- To provide students with the comprehensive understanding of computer application
- To provide students with the hands-on technical skills
- To equip students with the skills to function well in the competitive market
- To provide students with the skills required in software industry, E Commerce, etc
- To develop communication and analytical skills
- To encourage students for life-long learning
- To build strong foundation for the further education
Cost of Study
The cost of the program varies depending upon the academic institutions. Generally the tuition fee ranges from NRs. 200,000 to NRs. 300,000. In Purbanchal University, the cost of studying the BCA program is NRs. 237,400. To sweeten the cost, eligible students can apply for the scholarship.
Duration of Course
The Bachelor of Computer Application is a four year program divided into eight semesters consisting of 126 credit hours.
Career Prospect in Nepal
The scope of IT is rising throughout the globe. Today all most all the organizations depends upon the technologies so they are always in need of the IT experts. Thus, BCA degree holders do not have to worry about not finding a proper job. Grads with this degree can find job in both private and public sectors. They can work as technicians, web designer, multimedia programmer, system & network administrators, database administrator, software programmer, sales professionals, computer programmers, web developers, software developer, etc.
- Applicant willing to join the BCA students should fulfill the following criteria:
- Have completed twelve year of formal education
- Applicant from any stream (science, humanities and management) are eligible to apply for the program
- Secured at least 45% in +2
- Appear and pass the entrance exam conducted by the respective university
- Face the personal interview
- Applicant should submit the following documents at the time of admission:
- Complete and signed admission form along with application fee (TU charges NRs. 2000 for form)
- Official copy of academic certificates (SLC onwards)
- Copy of a character certificate issued by the school
- Copy of a character certificate issued by the College
- Copy of a citizenship card
- Transfer Certificate
Tribhuvan University: Constituent campuses and Colleges affiliated to TU should provide the scholarship to the students who have passed SLC/SEE and +2 through community college. Each year, two academically bright students are awarded with the partial scholarship.
Purbanchal University Scholarship: The university offers ten percent scholarship every year (open scholarship and reservations scholarship) as per the current scholarship rule of the university.
Pokhara University awards scholarships to thirty-two BCA students each year.
List of College Offering Bachelor of Computer Application in Nepal
College affiliated to Pokhara University
- Rapti Engineering College, Nainawar, Ghorahi
- Citizen College, Patan
- Lumbini Engineering College, Tilottama
- LA GRANDEE International College, Rastra Bank Rd. Pokhara
- Oxford College of Engineering & Management, Shastri Marg, Gaindakot
- Nepal College of Information Technology (NCIT), Balkumari, lalitpur
- Crimson College of Technology, Devi Nagar, Butwal
- National Academy of Science and Technology (Dhangadi Engineering College), Dhangadi
Six constituent campuses of Tribhuvan University offering BCA program
- Mechi Multiple Campus, Bhadrapur, Mechi, Jhapa
- Doti Multiple Campus, Dipayal, Silghadi
- Patan Multiple Campus, Patandhoka Road, Patan
- Mahendra Multiple Campus, Nepalgunj
- Birendra Multiple Campus, Bharatpur
- Padmakanya Campus, Bagbazar, Kathmandu
Colleges affiliated to Purbanchal University
- Purbanchal University School of Engineering and Technology, Kanya Marga Rd. Biratnagar
- National Infotech College, Birgung
- Gomendra Multiple College, Birtamod, Jhapa
- College of Information Technology & Engineering , Subhidhanagar, Tinkune, Kathmandu
- Aryan School of Engineering, Devkota Sadak, Kathmandu
- Himalayan Whitehouse International College: School of Science and Technology, Mid Baneshwor, Kathmandu
One of the well-paid sectors, career in IT is both lucrative and satisfying. However, making good money at the initial phase of career is not possible so rather than earning money one should take it as an opportunity to gain the hand-on experience. Fresher’s salary ranges from NRs. 12,000 to NRs. 18,000. However after finding the niche in the industry, one can earn lavishly.
Further Study Option
The Bachelor of Computer Application degree holder can pursue higher studies in Master in Computer Application (MCA).
List of Similar Course
- Bachelor of Computer Science (B. Sc. Computer)
- Bachelor of Education in Information Communication Technology (B.Ed in ICT)
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science and Information Technology (B.Sc.CSIT)
- Bachelor of Science in Information Technology (BSc.IT)
- Bachelor of Science in Network Technology (BSc. Network Technology)
- BSc (Hons) in Information Technology
When does the class start?
Generally class starts in December.
In what kind of organizations BCA graduates find jobs?
There are lots of companies that employ BCA graduates. Some of the typical employer includes telecom company, software houses, training institutions, schools and colleges.
Should I take any training before joining the program?
It would be really helpful if you have knowledge of computer programming but basic computer skills are needed. However, there is no need to take the formal training just to join the program.
Is this course hands-on or only conceptual?
The program provides students with both practical skills and conceptual knowledge.
Do I need an IT experience to join this program?
No, IT experience is not necessary to attend this program.
On what basis admission is granted?
Students are selected on the basis of their academic achievements, entrance test score and personal interview.